Path module tutorial

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mehis

Path module tutorial

Post by Mehis »

Happy New Year to everybody!
Maybe there is not a right place, but i have a question. Has somebody created a little tutorial for users how to use Path module?
Mehis
yorik
Founder

Re: Path module tutorial

Post by yorik »

Not yet, but the path module is still in very early stages of development, at the moment it will only be of some use to you if you use it in python scripts. I hope I'll have some time to work further on it soon...
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Not a video or even a regular tutorial but I did a quick walkthrough with screenshots that might get you started.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8622&start=40#p76010

That's pretty old and incomplete but still useful. To do anything useful, you'll need to go through some basic steps.

1)Start by first creating a Path project.
2)click on the tool table button and add at least one tool.
3)Load the tool
4)Now add an operation like a profile or a pocket. The different operations will require you to select appropriate geometry. ie profile wants a face selected but if you're using libarea to profile, you select a collection of edges. This is really rough and it's the area that needs development help.

if all goes well, you'll see the tool path lines added to the view. Adjust the properties of the operations for offsets, step-down, etc. The libarea profile is probably the most useful at this point.

5) If you're able to get the tool path lines to look the way you want, you can then post-process to generate gcode. Gcode can also be customized by modifying or writing your own post processor script.

So far I've only been able to make very simple things with profile operations only. Still, you might be able to glean some useful info from looking at a project: http://sliptonic.com/dogfooding-with-freecad-path/
camloken

Post by camloken »

This is a great video explaining how the path module tool works (posted Aug 2016):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4JUnB1AHdY
mp77Bushnell

Re: Path module tutorial (2022)

Post by mp77Bushnell »

Fails to load..
at least for me. But then I I cant get a a "Job" to work in Path Workbench .20 either>