Creating Bit from scratch, parameter and attribute section

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Powerbook

Creating Bit from scratch, parameter and attribute section

Post by Powerbook »

Hello Freecad user and developer.
Thank you for your time about creating and supporting Freecad.

I would like to generate from another tools bit library all my existing tools to Freecad.
I'm not a developer, i only (try) to build scrap code to try to program basic tools who cover my needs ;-)

I take information from my actual tools bits library and generate individual fctb (json) file -> it's working.
All parameters i use for the moment are based on information found in "Bit" directory like 5mm_Endmill.fctb, 6mm_Ball_End.fctb files.
In these different files you can find different "parameter".
Where can I find the list of all available "parameter" ?

Same question about the "attribute" section ?
On standard "fctb" files (provided as example with Freecad), "attribute" section is always empty.
Where can I find the list of all available "attribute" ?

Last question, Is it possible to add on tool bit definition information to populate feedrate, spindle speed, etc. (on "controller" side) as parameters in the tool file?
This would set up a tool and "start" with cutting parameters, it would save a lot of time.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Chris.
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Creating Bit from scratch, parameter and attribute section

Post by mlampert »

Each ToolBit "shape" has its own parameters. They define the physical dimensions of the tool. So what you see in those json files is what exists and what new fctb files should define.

Attributes are (currently) arbitrary. I don't think FC uses them at the current time. They are meant to be used to amend the tool with # flutes, chipload, material - things like that.
Powerbook

Re: Creating Bit from scratch, parameter and attribute section

Post by Powerbook »

Dear mlampert,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I hadn't understood that some values contained in the "bit" file were in the linked .fcstb file.
This is valuable information.

Thanks again for your help.
Chris.