Profile path error after adding DressupTags: "PathGeom.WARNING: <class 'Part.Hyperbola'> not supported for flipping"

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mjbarrow85

Profile path error after adding DressupTags: "PathGeom.WARNING: <class 'Part.Hyperbola'> not supported for flipping"

Post by mjbarrow85 »

Hi I am new to FreeCAD.

I have problems trying to generate dressup tags for a pretty simple model, which is just a pad on a 2D profile. The only thing unusual about it is that the pad is in the negative direction.

When trying to generate dressup tags, the profile path gets messed up and I see a bunch of warnings
22:32:40 PathGeom.WARNING: <class 'Part.Hyperbola'> not supported for flipping
22:32:40 PathDressupHoldingTags.INFO: replaced edge with 2 straight segments

I have attached my FreeCAD file if anyone can take a look and tell me what is going wrong?
Here is what I am seeing, unwanted wacky tool paths peeling away from the part profile.
WeirdPathAfterDressups.png
WeirdPathAfterDressups.png (178.7 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Attachments
Dust_Shroud.FCStd
(51.24 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Profile path error after adding DressupTags: "PathGeom.WARNING: <class 'Part.Hyperbola'> not supported for flipping"

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If I use Autogenerate with 14 points it works as usual and looks the same as yours.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mjbarrow85

Re: Profile path error after adding DressupTags: "PathGeom.WARNING: <class 'Part.Hyperbola'> not supported for flipping"

Post by mjbarrow85 »

Right so I guess you are seeing the same issues?
I also tried 14 automatic points and have some bad path geometry with some tool paths wandering away from the profile.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is with 14 points here. I recommend for Path a current 0.21 version.
SnipScreenshot-13b393.png
SnipScreenshot-13b393.png (17.35 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29997 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b52967d52ac46eff7c59e74d991f3f5b298944ef
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * FC_SU
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.4.0
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * fasteners 0.3.51
  * sheetmetal 0.2.56
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Curves 0.5.4
Attachments
Dust_Shroud_cb.FCStd
(40.25 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mjbarrow85

Post by mjbarrow85 »

OK sounds great if you have it working on 0.21.

Could you share a link to that version? I tried the latest daily appimage but that didn't seem stable (could not generate any DressupTags), so I guess that is not what you are using.

I was just going to try and mill out the file you sent me but sadly 0.20 vomited when I tired setting feedrate (for some reason 0.20 could not generate gcode with feedrate, although I did see it specified in your updated file from 0.21).

Cheers!
mjbarrow85

Post by mjbarrow85 »

@chrisb So I've given 14 auto-generated supports a try with the 0.21 weekly build that came out about a day ago https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... 0.AppImage.

The steps I took were to remove everything in my FreeCAD file except the sketch and redo padding as well as the contour job and dressup.

Although things are a lot better, I still see some undesirable path artifacts and an Exception "No connection to Vector" after applying the DressupTags operation. So, something weird is going on... I guess these artifacts may be OK in some applications but I don't want to trash any mill bits unnecessarily, plus it does seem to be a bug.

Here is an image of what I am seeing
weekly_tags_issue.png
weekly_tags_issue.png (199.56 KiB) Viewed 620 times
I've also attached my FreeCad file from using 0.21 to do the dressup operation
Attachments
Dust_Shroud_updated.FCStd
(53.8 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mjbarrow85

Post by mjbarrow85 »

I was able to work around my issue, but I am quite positive there is a bug with the DressupTags.

I still see geometry issues in the path with my original settings in ver 0.21, but my workaround was to change my z axis step down increment to 1mm (previously it was 0.7 mm).

I expect the bug relates to geometry calculations for the tabs, which I imagine are somewhat convoluted. Since 7 is a prime, I guessed a "nice" number like 1 mm would help and it did.

I also changed the number of automatically generated tags to be 10. Although I did not notice bad geometry with 14, I did see console errors about disconnected vertices, and selecting 10 made this problem go away.

If needed I can file a bug report and upload the example FreeCAD file that caused issues, along with the one that does not (attached here as Experiment)

Michael
Attachments
Experiment.FCStd
(40.63 KiB) Downloaded 5 times