Improving clang-format

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Improving clang-format

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:58 pm 1) If we standardize on a clang-format file, we can submit one PR that auto formats all files. ...

2) Format-aso-you-type is more frustrating than it is worth, IMO...
For 1) that would be fine with me, with the only exception that this is done after toponaming has been merged-

For 2) I don't know how to achieve this. I already tried to turn off the formatter but as I wrote, this does not help, only creates more work. Up to now, I was very fine with the way VC does the ++ formatting.
Note that I cannot state about python because also for Python I use VC and VC is bad in auto-formatting Python code (at least I have to undo often unwanted changes).
xtemp09

Re: PVS-Studio

Post by xtemp09 »

Edit by chrisb: this and the following two posts where moved from another topic on PVS-Studio
Will the venerable developers consider changing the entire project into one style? I do not want to sound finical, moreover, to reprimand, but FreeCAD source code contains too many files with huge differences in style.

I randomly opened a few files and found out:
  • some files are Unix (LF):
    • src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CommandConstraints.cpp
    • src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/TaskFeatureParameters.cpp
  • some files are Windows (CRLF):
    • src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CommandConstraints.h
    • src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/TaskFeatureParameters.h
The source code does not follow a style
  • some files follow Stroustrup's style
  • some are just mixture
I propose: to convert everything into UTF-8 and Unix (LF) and apply a style, for example, Kernighan & Ritchie.

Would the venerable developers consider an option to run iconv and/or Artistic Style or clang-format? It's one commit.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think there was a discussion about style, but it took place mainly on Github.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

xtemp09 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:54 am It's one commit.
The current master source includes more than 10,000 files.

How many do think might break with your simple "style change"? :lol:

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have moved the previous three posts from this discussion: viewtopic.php?t=34266.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
xtemp09

Post by xtemp09 »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:21 pmHow many do think might break with your simple "style change"? :lol:
None.

KDE has many more files, and yet they apply clang-format routinely.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I don't anticipate the auto-formatting to cause many compilation problems: the software that does it is very well-tested and is in daily use by very large projects. But we do want to be cognizant of our timing, because when we do it it's going to break every single open PR, and every single piece of in-process development. For developers working on large changesets, this is going to entail hours of hand-merging. In the long run it will make life much easier, but it is going to be painful in the short term. The Maintainers are discussing different ways of approaching the problem that might be less up-front painful.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
berniev

Post by berniev »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 pm
chennes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:58 pm 1) If we standardize on a clang-format file, we can submit one PR that auto formats all files. ...
For 1) that would be fine with me, with the only exception that this is done after toponaming has been merged-
It seems there has been a decision made not to attempt a toponaming merge after all, writing new code to incorporate the tn logic and progressively merge.

So NOW is a perfect opportunity to implement clang-format in CI.
xtemp09

Post by xtemp09 »

It's very possible to apply it dir by dir, avoiding those ones under development. Beautifying the entire project, of course is a big task, splitting this task into smaller ones is easier and painless.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

xtemp09 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:56 pm KDE has many more files, and yet they apply clang-format routinely.
That is exactly my point. There are many strange constructions in the 10,000+ files in FreeCAD, and many more in the hundreds of add-ons. There has been no continuous "routine" application of this sort of formatting in FreeCAD.

A "brute force" approach risks a lot for something that is purely cosmetic.

Gene