Improving clang-format

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Improving clang-format

Post by chennes »

We now have a .clang-format file as part of the main FreeCAD codebase: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ang-format

This means, among other things, that IDEs can (and do!) automatically format our code according to that file's specified format: which means we should probably make sure it actually formats code the way we want it to. To that end, I've applied it to Metadata.cpp and Metadata.h (basically a self-contained class used almost entirely by the Addon Manager, so unlikely to break anything or seriously bother anyone while we work on this project).

If you are someone with opinions about what C++ code "should" look like, please take a moment to have a look at these files, and suggest changes to the .clang-format file to improve things. As we refine the .clang-format file I can periodically apply it to that class so we can get things dialed in. For reference here is the Qt coding standard, which is the one we often recommend to people looking for a set of guidelines to follow for new code.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Improving clang-format

Post by openBrain »

mfro

Post by mfro »

openBrain wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:53 am 'case' formatting is horrible : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... #L542-L547
It depends on what you start with - clang-format appears to differentiate between single-line and multi-line case statements.
If you start with the latter, it doesn't look too bad, IMO.

I personally don't have strong opinions on how formatting should look like as long as it is consistent.

What appears a little strange is that - after I configured the QtCreator code beautifier to use the settings file - it didn't accept the formatting of the example file but appeared to require a reformat?
Cheers,
Markus
berniev

Post by berniev »

There is no need to have a "sample commit". Thats just BS and messes up master. It is not a proper capability test or format.
Anyone with an IDE (which is surely just about everyone) can see first hand what clang-tidy does as it is integrated into most all of them.
Now that clang-format file is in FreeCAD source, your IDE is likely picking it up automatically.

As you look at a piece of code, just do a reformat. In Jetbrains it is just (Mac) cmd-shift L.

Since I introduced clang-format to FreeCAD some months ago it is really pleasing to see its rapid adoption. But its is going to take a little time to nail down the finer details. There are loads of edge cases especially where it is desired to leave code alone (to a lessor or greater degree).

So report your thoughts and have the discussion. There are some areas that will be quite opinionated.

At some point down the track it will be possible to do a global reformat. After that anyone can change code and just hit reformat to get the accepted format on the whole section or file. Easy. I've been doing this for years and it is sweet.

Avoid having a PR rejected because you used four character indent amongst code that is two-character indented. Yes, this is real.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

chennes wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:27 pm suggest changes to the .clang-format file to improve things.
-checks="readability-braces-around-statements"
and
"InsertBraces"

Can not count the number of times this has burned me.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:44 pm -checks="readability-braces-around-statements"
and
"InsertBraces"

Can not count the number of times this has burned me.
Yeah, that's an interesting one -- I was taught (and agree with) putting braces around everything, but the Qt coding guidelines have you omit them on the one-liners, so a TON of our code (including most of what I've written for this project, as far as I recall) omits them. I can't tell from your comment whether you are advocating for adding those requirements or removing them, though. Do you prefer the braces? (I mean, I'd guess so since I can't imagine how you'd be burned by their presence and not their absence...)
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

chennes wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:31 pm [I was taught (and agree with) putting braces around everything, but the Qt coding guidelines have you omit them on the one-liners, so a TON of our code (including most of what I've written for this project, as far as I recall) omits them. I can't tell from your comment whether you are advocating for adding those requirements or removing them, though. Do you prefer the braces?
Sorry I was rushing out the door and didn't pay enough attention to what I had written.

I would like braces around everything to be enforced, please.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I agree that having braces everywhere makes things clearer, this might be due to me being an amateur but many times I was very confused by missing braces in deeply nested conditionals.
berniev

Post by berniev »

Anyone doubting all braces should search for Apple goto fail. Freaked a lot of people out.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »