Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Post by chennes »

I was thinking of a sort of State of FreeCAD presentation to talk about what is happening with 0.21/1.0 development.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

yorik wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:50 am Who would be interested in submitting a FreeCAD talk at FOSDEM? :)
I can only Sketcher; and probably not much more than I have written in my Sketcher document.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Maybe a talk about FPA and what are the ideas/plans to use the collected money to ease and promote FreeCAD usage and contributions.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

openBrain wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:24 am Maybe a talk about FPA and what are the ideas/plans to use the collected money to ease and promote FreeCAD usage and contributions.
And lessons learned about the formation process
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Other question: we could ask for a booth, which is basically a table, in the main lobby, when projects can sell stuff (t-shirts, stickers...) and more importantly, showcase the project.

Would it be interesting? We could print some t-shirts and stickers. Would some of you volunteer to help manning the booth (sell stuff and show FreeCAD) during the event?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Is there also interest and the possibility to hold a workshop? I am interested in two related topics:
- Teaching FreeCAD
- What should be covered by an exam or certificate?

The former is about how to educate, the latter about the goals to be reached. I think that these topics both can benefit from sitting together in a room and exchanging ideas.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I'd love to discuss teaching FreeCAD with others - I regularly offer FreeCAD classes at the library I work at, I'd love to share experiences and find new strategies.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

The discussion about education/certification would be great. In fact, we might even be able to go one step farther.
How about a making a key part of the workshop focus on 'flattening the learning curve'. With so many developers in the room, we could identify SPECIFIC changes to the UI/UX that matter. Not just eye-candy but things that remove actual stumbling blocks.

Commercial software companies have the advantage of being able to run usability studies where they watch users struggle with the UI. We don't have that so we need another way to learn where first-time users get stuck
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Are we planning on submitting a room proposal on our own, or are we going to partner with other open source projects in our proposal?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If we have a booth we could ask some arbitrary attendees to model a simple object - two sketches a pad and a pocket would already be much - and note how they perform.