Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Post by adrianinsaval »

JulianTodd wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:57 am The two main complaints of FreeCAD are:

1) One polygon per sketch. You can't draw a single master sketch and then extrude selected polygons from that sketch.
not ideal but there is a macro for that, wirefilter. Also you could use subshapebinders but it's cumbersome. Personally I never felt the need for this.
2) Each CAD operation puts its dependencies into a subtree instead of simply making a new entity below the previous entities so you can more easily see and interact with the sequence.
My guess is he's using Part WB, better use Part Design if that's the type of workflow he prefers.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

sliptonic wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:47 pm IF Fosdem is an in-person event, who would be willing to travel to Brussels for a meetup?
sliptonic wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:54 pm Dates were published today. Feb 4/5

https://fosdem.org/2022/news/2022-09-14 ... um=twitter
Would be interested, given scheduling and visa issues don't come into the picture.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I'm interested as well, and I'll be there already ;)
I'm a member of the local hackerspace ( https://hsbxl.be ), we could easily get some space there, but there might be other easy possibilities with fosdem itself.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I will likely fly in the Tuesday before, and out the Monday after. Of course I'd like to spend some time seeing Brussels, but I'm happy to meet up with whomever else is there and work on FreeCAD stuff, too.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

On my calendar that's Tuesday is 31 January. That gives Weds, Thurs, Friday. Is that the time we can just have our informal get together? Nothing needs to be organized. We just need to all show up early and be available on those days for a very ad-hoc Unconference. I was going to stay at the Meininger Hotel, because I liked it last time in 2020 when sliptonic et al also stayed there.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I’m staying in central Brussels, near Grand-Place, but transportation is relatively easy, it seems the public transit routes are extensive. So I’m happy to meet at whatever location is convenient for others.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

I'd love to meet up at FOSDEM! Happy to help in any activities or however I could be useful.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I live near brussels south train station, which is also near the hackerspace (it's litterally across the street :) ). Last time, sliptonic and I think julian stayed at meininger brussels centre, which seemed pretty good, there is another meinigher one block away from home here. But it's all very close and easy to reach, only 2 or 3 tram stops away. There are more options too, if anyone needs help with stuff in Brussels, tell me!

I would propose we do some FreeCAD stuff around the FOSDEM, but if any of you wants to take a day or two to do some tourism around, there are a lot of pretty cool places to see (brussels itself, brugge, ghent... all within 1h distance) I'll be happy to come along and show you around.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Interested in a meetup - please keep me in the loop
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There seems to be a lot of interest! Cool!
This leads us to the next question: Who would be interested in submitting a FreeCAD talk at FOSDEM? :)