Let's talk version numbers

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Let's talk version numbers

Post by yorik »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:08 pm Toponaming should be the development goal and then we have a FreeCAD 1.0.
Yes, exactly.
adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:03 am what else would be needed to declare that in your opinion?
Basically that we don't have toponaming issues anymore (or, let's say, they are very rare and very corner cases, as I expect @realthunder 's algorithm might still fail in some complex cases). That should be rather easy to test I guess, maybe we could build a set of test files that DO give toponaming problems now?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

yorik wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:15 am maybe we could build a set of test files that DO give toponaming problems now?
I have split the replies to this here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69644 let's add test files there to not pollute this thread!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yorik wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:15 am Basically that we don't have toponaming issues anymore (or, let's say, they are very rare and very corner cases, as I expect @realthunder 's algorithm might still fail in some complex cases).
I feel like that is too ambitious (and nearing unachievable) and doesn't really help move forward, still it would be nice if other workbenches than those realthunder implemented made the effort to use the toponaming algorithm during this cycle, like techdraw which greatly suffers from it.

Anyways, if a discussion about whether or not to release as 1.0 should be made I would prefer to move that to another thread too, here what I really want to achieve is a consistent system for the version numbers be it 0.* or 1.*
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

At the moment the development/toponaming https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... toponaming compiles on Debian 11 fine.

@Kunda1: is there a thread for test suggestions? I do not have found one.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yorik posted one above but I think there was some prior discussion about that before too.