[To be reworked] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

[To be reworked] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by paddle »

Edit: this call for tester was a bit early. And my branch has a few bad commits waiting to be fixed. So it might be troublesome to test now. I'll edit again when it's more stable.

Hey guys,
We're currently working on merging Sketcher Tool settings with Abdullah who took the opportunity to refactor the drawsketchhandler class. Which enables some improvements of Tool settings as previously shown.
Long story short I'm currently implementing the features that I made previously on that new architecture and they are waiting review by Abdullah before merging.

So I was thinking that if someone want to test to find out any issues it will help reviewing by Abdullag to be faster and ultimately making merge faster.
Haavard wrote:Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:01 pm Hi
The branch : https://github.com/PaddleStroke/FreeCAD ... dle_widget

Cheers
Last edited by paddle on Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by adrianinsaval »

I'll try to give it a test run this week. What features should I test? Short description of what I should/shouldn't expect would be useful.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Tool settings is implemented in the following tool. It let you set some values that will result in creating constraints :

- Point
- Line
- Rectangle, rectangle by center and oblong are all under a single tool now. You have a combo box (dropdown) to change between construction mode (diagonal and by center) (later we'll add a key to switch construction mode as in polyline). A checkbox to enable round corners (which works in both modes).
- Arc and arc by 3 points arcs are in the same tool with a combobox to select mode. Besides arc has now snap by 5 degree.
- Circle and 3 point circle are in the same tool with a combobox to select mode.
- Ellipse and 3p ellipse are in the same tool with a combobox to select mode.
- Ellipse is now in circle comp.
- Arcs of circle/ellipse/hyperbola/parabolas are in the same comp. So there is no more conic comp.
- Regular polygons are represented by only one tool now, which defaults at hexagon and has a parameter to change the number of size so that it can be changed dynamically. This tool is placed under the rectangle comp. Please report if you have a preview issue. On my side w10 the preview does not work until the number of side is changed, but Abdullah doesn't have this issue on linux.
- Fillet and chamfer are in one tool. Preserving corners is a checkbox.
- Slot has now snap by 5 degree instead of previous snap at 0 and 90.
- Arc slot tool added. Including a 'rectangle slot' mode.
- Insert on line tool added in 'modify edge' comp. (new comp including trim, split extend and insert).

Not implemented yet :
polyline, bspline, arc of hyperbolas/parabolas/ellipse.

Coming soon are Rotate / scale / offset / array tools.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm So I was thinking that if someone want to test to find out any issues it will help reviewing by Abdullag to be faster and ultimately making merge faster.
It will be a pleasure to help you test these awesome new features. But I haven't compiled FreeCAD from source before (I use ready-made builds from GitHub) so I need to prepare the whole compiling environment and learn how to do this on Windows first. Unless you could add downloadable Windows builds to your GitHub but I don't want to bother you with that.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:06 pm
paddle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm So I was thinking that if someone want to test to find out any issues it will help reviewing by Abdullag to be faster and ultimately making merge faster.
It will be a pleasure to help you test these awesome new features. But I haven't compiled FreeCAD from source before (I use ready-made builds from GitHub) so I need to prepare the whole compiling environment and learn how to do this on Windows first. Unless you could add downloadable Windows builds to your GitHub but I don't want to bother you with that.
Setting up the IDE is the first step towards being able to make some modification :)
And being able to modify ends up being able to make some cool stuff.
Besides I'm not sure how to share the builts as there're some external library and so on. It may end up being quite annoying. And I'll be editing based on your return so it will be impractical to upload at every change.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:09 pm Setting up the IDE is the first step towards being able to make some modification :)
And being able to modify ends up being able to make some cool stuff.
Besides I'm not sure how to share the builts as there're some external library and so on. It may end up being quite annoying. And I'll be editing based on your return so it will be impractical to upload at every change.
Right, it will be better if I compile it from the source. I'll try to do it and test the tools as soon as possible but I'm not sure when exactly I will find some free time to do this. Possibly the next weekend. Meanwhile maybe other testers will also volunteer.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:06 pm But I haven't compiled FreeCAD from source before (I use ready-made builds from GitHub) so I need to prepare the whole compiling environment and learn how to do this on Windows first.
Windows builds are quite straightforward if you follow the directions in the wiki on "Compiling for Windows". I do it frequently without problems.

The subject code is a bit out of date and should be rebased. There have been a ton of changes to the master version recently.

Gene
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:03 pm The subject code is a bit out of date and should be rebased. There have been a ton of changes to the master version recently.
You mean the branch I linked? If so, I forked it from Abdullah's implementation and I'm currently PR to his fork. So he's managing that.
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

Awesome, compiling now! ;)
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

Yeah i'm not able to compile, insanely many errors :D
compile errors.txt
(97.28 KiB) Downloaded 52 times