[To be reworked] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by paddle »

abdullah wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 pm
marioalexis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:02 pm
There might be a bug introduced (I was notified by one of our users in GitHub). I am waiting for a way to reproduce to fix it.
With this commit: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 8012eb098d

Open new document.
Got to Sketcher workbench.
Create sketch on xy plane.
Create a B-spline.
Pick to create two control points (or more).
Right click to end.
-> Unhandled exception and eventually crash.

Code: Select all

Unhandled std exception in ViewProvider::eventCallback: vector::_M_range_check: __n (which is 9) >= this->size() (which is 9) (Event type: SoKeyboardEvent, object type: SketcherGui::ViewProviderSketch)
Thank you very much. :D :D

I will look into it ASAP.
Same here. Bspline tool is broken. (I tested in our 'paddle_widget' branch not the 'paddle_widget_testing' one.)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

paddle wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:34 am Same here. Bspline tool is broken. (I tested in our 'paddle_widget' branch not the 'paddle_widget_testing' one.)
It's no longer broken on current master. You may want to rebase.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Oh ok I was a bit late then :)
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

bleber wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 pm I post here my testing results:
- input boxes not admit operations like 12+1 or 3*4
- circle tool: how to enter diameter?
- There are not tooltips to help understand functionality.
- when enter radius or line length, I cannot view the result before apply the desired restriction. (limitation apply to all input boxes).
For now we chose Radius but it could have been diameter as well. That's my initial choice because I prefer consistency (always the same accross arc and circles). We discussed about it on the 'constrain contextually' tool.

I would be ok to have 'diameter' for circle and 'radius' for arc.

Or this could be a preference setting : "Auto radius/parameter - Always radius - Always diameter" this way user could choose what he prefers.

We can add a small description for each tool. Some more complex tools have it already. For simple tools we didn't put any to not bloat the widget. Feel free to offer descriptions for the tools.

I'm not sure to understand your last point. You mean that if you type 10 for the radius, without pressing enter, then the drawn circle doesn't change to 10?
This is expected behaviour. The parameter is applied only if you press enter (or tab).
If you want a preview of the size, you can move the mouse cursor on the viewer and the current radius will be updating in the widget. This way, for example, you can find an approximate radius by hand that fit what you want. Then you see 30.87 in the parameter, so you can type in 30.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I am going to try the new mention system here:

@chrisb

@openBrain

@adrianinsaval

is it a possibility for you to give it a run and provide some feedback?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

bleber wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 pm - input boxes not admit operations like 12+1 or 3*4
This is indeed not supported at this time.
bleber wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 pm - circle tool: how to enter diameter?
Probably we could give the possibility to enter both diameter or radius. Specially with circles, sometimes one is much more convenient than the other.
bleber wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 pm - There are not tooltips to help understand functionality.
Probably Paddle and me, we have been seeing this for quite a while and it has become intuitive, while for a new person it might not be. Feel free to let us now which kind of tooltips you would find useful.
bleber wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 pm - when enter radius or line length, I cannot view the result before apply the desired restriction. (limitation apply to all input boxes).
I am not sure I understand what you mean. The idea of the widget is to only set the restrictions that need to be restricted. If the user wants everything to be restricted, then it is ok to set (i.e. input) all the parameters. If the user does not want everything restricted, he or she can enter the shape using the mouse and clicking (as before), and only set the parameters intended to be restricted.

Feel free to elaborate if it does not make sense to you (for example showing a screenshot, or screen capture).
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

abdullah wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:31 pm I am going to try the new mention system here:
It doesn't work. :) For it to work, you have to validate the username in the list then it shall end with it being written between 'mention' tags. ;)
See how yours appear if you quote this post @abdullah ;)
is it a possibility for you to give it a run and provide some feedback?
I wish I could but hardly finding spare time ATM. Hopefully it will improve soon and I'll be able to give it a try. Is it still in the same branch as you mentioned sooner?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

abdullah wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 pm This PR is just for snap creation:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7118

Thank you for your support :)
Sorry but this is a bit of a mess. I just looked and the PR and the testing branch on your repo are not in sync. So I don't know what is to be tested ATM. Please advise.
If I can have an opinion on this, the PR should be the reference for testing, but I should be able to compile any. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

phpBB [video]
@paddle these are the features that we're testing in the PR ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Overall seems pretty great, it's a little awkward to use if you try to define everything through keyboard because you still need to make all the clicks needed if you were doing it just through the mouse, it would be nice if the values could be accepted with just enter. Attached a video trying to do it on keyboard, just remove the .txt from the name
Attachments
simplescreenrecorder-2022-07-06_21.10.03.mp4.txt
(811.43 KiB) Downloaded 10 times