Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Post by uwestoehr »

Dear FreeCAD contributors, translators and testers,

we are pleased to announce the upcoming release of FreeCAD 0.20. After one year of development and many exciting new features: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_0.20
it is time to finalize a release.
Many thanks to everybody who contributed with bugfixes, new features, translations, documentation, by providing builds, maintaining GitHub and the forum!
It is a pleasure that we have such an active community.

In order to get the release stable, there will be a feature freeze taking effect at

Friday, March 4, 12:00 UTC

What will be submitted before as PR and passed the CI compilation and tests, can be considered to go in for FreeCAD 0.20.
Please be aware that not all pending PRs will go in - the mergers will decide this.

To make the release happen soon, we need your help:

Dear contributors:
- please take some time and check how well your feature is documented. You know how it is - undocumented features will be unknown and thus unused features.

Dear testers:
- There will be release testing builds about one week after the feature freeze so that you can test FreeCAD 0.20 without the need to compile it by yourself. Depending on what bugs might occur, further builds will be made available.
- Please report every issue you find in current master to the forum. When the issue could be verified, an issue in GitHub can be opened. Issues without prior forum discussion cannot be considered.

Dear translators:
- please have a look at the latest Crowdin files and update or add translations.
(For new translators: how to translate FreeCAD is explained here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Localisation)

FreeCAD 0.20 will purposely not have the toponaming PRs in. We (including realthunder) have setup a way how to incorporate these PRs to FreeCAD for the next major release after FreeCAD 0.20. There will be a further announcement about toponaming before the release of FreeCAD 0.20.

many thanks on behalf of the FreeCAD core developers
Uwe
Last edited by Kunda1 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by adrianinsaval »

Good, thanks to everyone for their hard work to make this great software!!
Glad to hear there's plan adjustment going on with TN stuff, hopefully we'll see progress in that front soon.
marcin86

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by marcin86 »

Hello,

I just have one comment regarding name version 0.20 or 0.2 or 0.17. When I promote this software in my design areas - work / job partners / friends they think: "hmm 0.12, 0,15 - probably some super alfa version with thousand bugs". Maybe it will be better for promotion this fantastic software and fantastic work of developer/testers name it: "Freecad 2022". Next revision from summer 2022.2 from September 2022.3?

.... even change only on top bar (picture 1) and in start (picture 2) and website (picture 3). Just for good promotion / marketing - without changing everything in git.

Have nice weekend :)
Marcin
Attachments
a.PNG
a.PNG (151.19 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
b.PNG
b.PNG (31.58 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
c.PNG
c.PNG (227.66 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I know its unlikely to change, but I actually really like the idea of release versioning like that. Probably a topic for its own thread in the open discussion forum though rather than here.

Back on topic, great to hear the plan and reviewing the tentative release notes serves as a reminder of all of the changes and hard work that have gone on over the last year. Outstanding work team!
bleber

Post by bleber »

I like the idea to put release date, it denotes active development at first sight .
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

how about the splash screen? time to make a forum topic to choose one?
Regarding version numbering, that discussions comes up with every release it seems, unless our core guys say they're willing to change it if the community feels like it, is not worth pursuing IMO, heated discussions led to nothing in the past.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Yorik will be posting a request for a new Splashscreen and About Box graphic shortly.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

As @chennes mentioned in a PM this seems like a good place to discuss a bit of a change in the logo: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p548931. This suggested design maintains the F-gear motif while making the logo look more appealing and professional.

If the creator @Misacsnk is available to provide the proper licenses and any further changes I propose we incorporate it in 0.20.
Misacsnk wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm Ping
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:16 am Regarding version numbering
We discussed this. FreeCAD will stay in the scheme 0.x until Toponaming is fixed. When this is done, the next release will be FreeCAD 1.0.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:15 pm We discussed this. FreeCAD will stay in the scheme 0.x until Toponaming is fixed. When this is done, the next release will be FreeCAD 1.0.
Ok, that sounds perfect to me, I take it it was a group decision? The matter is settled then, good to know.
jnxd wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:40 am As @chennes mentioned in a PM this seems like a good place to discuss a bit of a change in the logo
Logo change is probably more controversial, perhaps the mythical 1.0 release is a better moment to make a logo change. IMO a properly organized voting should be done for this one, with some sort of criteria for admission (proper format like svg and not just png or proprietary adobe formats, maybe it must be also created on freecad as sliptonic suggested once, proper license for the logo). There might not be enough time to make a good logo contest for this version.