Allowing to stack commands in a toolbar

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Allowing to stack commands in a toolbar

Post by wmayer »

It is fairly true that when you have to switch a lot between workbenches that the combo box is not the best solution. But having a tab bar on the top is not better IMO because it takes away extra space on the height and when even showing the text how many workbenches can be shown? Maybe 10-15?

In case we decide to implement this then I would prefer to have a tool or tab bar on the side because the ratio of width to height of modern monitors has grown significantly the past years (the ratio was 4:3 and now it's 16:9 or 16:10) and only showing icons, no text. The icons could have a larger size maybe 48x48 px and should be self-explanatory which makes any text obsolete. Text can still be shown as tool tip.
-There should be possibility to rearrange tabs with drag and drop!
-Workbench tabs could be closed and just as easy added back if + tab would be pressed.
I don't think that this is a good idea because it is very annoying if you close it by accident. Normally you don't configure this all the time but only once. So, this should all can go to a panel in the preferences.
-If user would close the tab for Sketcher Workbench and editing sketch from Part Workbench would need to open the Sketcher Workbench
AFAIR this is already planned.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Just as input: A slightly diffrent approach about the tab swtiching is implemented in kdevelop, and i realy like it. No extra space needed as it's on the menu level of the window and if we would show workspaces as icons only as proposed by triplus everything would fit nicely into currently unused space. Toolbars would aso work as expected by the users.

triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It is fairly true that when you have to switch a lot between workbenches that the combo box is not the best solution. But having a tab bar on the top is not better IMO because it takes away extra space on the height and when even showing the text how many workbenches can be shown? Maybe 10-15?

In case we decide to implement this then I would prefer to have a tool or tab bar on the side because the ratio of width to height of modern monitors has grown significantly the past years (the ratio was 4:3 and now it's 16:9 or 16:10) and only showing icons, no text. The icons could have a larger size maybe 48x48 px and should be self-explanatory which makes any text obsolete. Text can still be shown as tool tip.
Ideal solution would be to support all common scenarios because on average screen size these days it probably comes down to personal preference in the end anyway.

Workbench Tabs on TOP:

Workbench Tabs on SIDE:

Workbench Tabs as TOOLBAR:

I agree tool tips are probably more optimal solution compared to tabs and text!
I don't think that this is a good idea because it is very annoying if you close it by accident. Normally you don't configure this all the time but only once. So, this should all can go to a panel in the preferences.
I agree managing ON/OFF Workbench Tabs states should be set somewhere else but i think the use of + tab would make more sense for that task instead of putting everything inside preferences! Pressing on + tab would open a page with listed available Workbenches and maybe added short description and ON/OFF switch. There could be additional "expand button" for each workbench listed where user could control individual workbench preferences.
Just as input: A slightly diffrent approach about the tab swtiching is implemented in kdevelop, and i realy like it. No extra space needed as it's on the menu level of the window and if we would show workspaces as icons only as proposed by triplus everything would fit nicely into currently unused space. Toolbars would aso work as expected by the users.
I see this as additional capability for operating systems (desktop environments) that still have menus like that. More general solution probably can't relay on menus being there in the first place?

Some additional thoughts from my side:
-Sidebar should probably allow easy resize and buttons should follow/flow horizontally and adjust automatically as needed.
-Currently only one workbench can remember the settings between restarts and if Workbench Tabs would be implemented i think some thought should be put into this if each Workbench Tab could save customizations the end user made. Ideally user could control positions of tool buttons, turn them on/off or add a custom one if needed. Probably + tab (under individual "expand button") is the place to manage this by the end user!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I just would like to make a remark to the ArchObject Window and stack commands in toolbar.
yorikvanhavre wrote:The case where I wanted to use it is in the Arch module: Below the "window" tool, which draws a window from scratch, there would be several "presets" (a simple window, a double window, etc...). They would be more like templates. But maybe it's more intelligent to have one tool, then in the task panel you can choose a preset...
What yorik wanted to do for ArchObject Window with different attributes will definatly extend if we are able to set user defined attributes for arch objects. Everbody would like to have his own ArchObject with his own properties and of course with his own icons. In CAD Allplan Nemetschek there are hunderds of different building objects according the attributes and one can easy add new icons. (see all the icon (allbox pictures) screens here: http://allbox.info/assistenten.php). I don't know but this principle of operation in BIM-CAD-Systems seams different from mechanical CAD-Systems.

Bernd
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I'm working on the arch window right now, I think I found something cool... Wait and see ;)
*EDIT* Wow... that Allbox is pretty impressive...